Re: On Hand correction

Ed W wrote:
> Nigel Titley wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Some how I've managed to get the inventory for one of my parts
>> incorrect. I suspect this was related to some invoice twiddling that I
>> did early on when I didn't really understand the system, but the upshot
>> is that I have more in the system than I have on the shelf. How do I go
>> about getting this right? I can think of two solutions:
>>
>> 1. I create a fictional "Inventory correction" customer and sell the
>> parts to him at zero cost
>> 2. I delve into the database and fix the quantity directly in the
>> relevant table
>>
>> Neither of these seems terribly elegant and the second one sounds
>> decidedly risky.
>>

> With SL at least this happens constantly...
>
> I run a query to count all the items of a given part which are sold and
> bought.  The balance should be the items on hand (although this isn't
> true if you use the shipping function for sales orders...).  Given the
> correct "on hand" amount I then adjust the database figure to show the
> correct on-hand
>
> In contrast though if I bought 10, sell 5, onhand=5, but my physical
> stock check shows only 3 remaining then I must have lost 2 somewhere.
> These need to be written off.  I believe the correct technique is to use
> a "written off" customer and sell for zero cost.  This will cause the
> P&L to take an immediate loss and the balance sheet will also be adjusted.

Ed,

Thanks for the response, this roughly corresponds to what I have
observed. In the end I delved into the database and fixed the inventory
for the one item that was obviously wrong.

I'm intrigued by your comment "

The balance should be the items on hand (although this isn't
true if you use the shipping function for sales orders...).

"

What is different about the shipping function. We do indeed use this
when shipping. Is it a bug or a feature  that it gets the inventory wrong?

Nigel