On Hand correction

Folks,

Some how I've managed to get the inventory for one of my parts
incorrect. I suspect this was related to some invoice twiddling that I
did early on when I didn't really understand the system, but the upshot
is that I have more in the system than I have on the shelf. How do I go
about getting this right? I can think of two solutions:

1. I create a fictional "Inventory correction" customer and sell the
parts to him at zero cost
2. I delve into the database and fix the quantity directly in the
relevant table

Neither of these seems terribly elegant and the second one sounds
decidedly risky.

Could someone help with a suggestion, please?

Thanks

Nigel