[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: On Hand correction
- Subject: Re: On Hand correction
- From: Chris Travers <..hidden..>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:11:32 -0800
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
> Nigel Titley wrote:
>> Some how I've managed to get the inventory for one of my parts
>> incorrect. I suspect this was related to some invoice twiddling that I
>> did early on when I didn't really understand the system, but the upshot
>> is that I have more in the system than I have on the shelf. How do I go
>> about getting this right? I can think of two solutions:
>> 1. I create a fictional "Inventory correction" customer and sell the
>> parts to him at zero cost
>> 2. I delve into the database and fix the quantity directly in the
>> relevant table
>> Neither of these seems terribly elegant and the second one sounds
>> decidedly risky.
> With SL at least this happens constantly...
> I run a query to count all the items of a given part which are sold and
> bought. The balance should be the items on hand (although this isn't
> true if you use the shipping function for sales orders...). Given the
> correct "on hand" amount I then adjust the database figure to show the
> correct on-hand
I have a query to do this easily too. One nice thing is you can get a
total as it should have existed at any point in time.
The only tricky part is when you are using assemblies to offer volume
discounts. Then you have to look at assemblies too. It gets more
complex if SOME assemblies are volume discounts, and others are not.
What I do in this case is flag volume discounts in the db so I know
which assemblies to look into.
> In contrast though if I bought 10, sell 5, onhand=5, but my physical
> stock check shows only 3 remaining then I must have lost 2 somewhere.
> These need to be written off. I believe the correct technique is to use
> a "written off" customer and sell for zero cost. This will cause the
> P&L to take an immediate loss and the balance sheet will also be adjusted.
I run the query as part of the inventory count process too.