Re: 4 Problems using lsmb

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:17 PM, david <..hidden..> wrote:
> The first two are serious issues for me - possibly show s
> toppers. The second two look like minor bugs.
>

> * AP transaction tax not calculated.
>
> Chris Travers explained to me why the tax is no longer calculated, but in
> Australian tax is always either 10% or zero. Tax invoices are not required to
> show the actual amount of tax, so it means that to use this window, the tax
> often has to be manually calculated, which is a pointless exercise in Australia.
> I notice this function was removed sometime in version 1.2 - what a pity :(
>
> Is it possible to have a system wide check-box to either calculate or
> not-calculate tax.

Probably not something we could add in a stable release outside of a
patch or add-on or something.

> * If I create a vendor invoice for an expense item, how do I link that
> particular expense to a given expense account. EG: I have an expense account for
> building maintenance 6019, and I raise a vendor invoice for the plumber.
>
> If I do this via an AP transaction, it's trivial, but I can't see how to do it
> via a vendor invoice. Forgive me if it's obvious :)

IIRC in your case (as with other Australian customers), there is one
tax rate and it applies to pretty much all expense categories.

Here is what I would suggest:

in psql one could automatically generate parts for each of the expense
accounts and make them all taxable.

DELETE FROM partstax;

INSERT INTO parts (partnumber, description, listprice, sellprice,
lastcost, income_accno_id, expense_accno_id)
SELECT (accno, description, 1, 1, 1, (select id from chart where accno
= '[income_accno]'), id)
from chart
WHERE category = 'E';
-- of course you have to edit the above statement to change
income_accno to some sort of sales account number

INSERT INTO partstax (parts_id, chart_id)
SELECT p.id, c.id
FROM parts p
CROSS JOIN chart c
WHERE c.link like '%tax%';

These will create one taxable part per expense account

Then you can enter the chart id or a part of the description for invoice lines.

Hope this helps.