Re: Postgresql Replication

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Stroller
<..hidden..> wrote:

> On 28 May 2008, at 08:00, ..hidden.. wrote:
>
>> hello all...our business has now the need to replicate our sl/
>> postgres db
>> from our main office in ca to ny as the ny system (public and
>> outside of
>> our firewall) has the need to generate non-critical read only
>> invoice and
>> inventory reports. our requirements are real simple and slony-i
>> seems to
>> be an overkill. ...
>
> Looking at Chris' reply it appears to me that this could get
> complicated.
>
> Is it quite impossible to open HTTPS connections at the firewall to
> your Ledger-SMB server, and restrict access only to the IP address of
> your NY office?

I think the initial request was for SQL-Ledger.  That might work
though.  It would probably be better to set up some sort of VPN
though.

One simple option is a shell script like such:

dropdb -h $EXTERNAL_HOST -U postgres $SL_DATASET
createdb -h $EXTERNAL_HOST -U postgres $SL_DATASET
pg_dump -h $INTERNAL_HOST -U postgres $SL_DATASET | psql -U postgres
-h $EXTERNAL_HOST $SL_DATASET

Set the appropriate variables and set up a .pgpass file, run it at
midnight via cron.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers