Re: Postgresql Replication

Tim,

> hello all...our business has now the need to replicate our sl/postgres db
> from our main office in ca to ny as the ny system (public and outside of
> our firewall) has the need to generate non-critical read only invoice and
> inventory reports. our requirements are real simple and slony-i seems to
> be an overkill.

You might check out Londiste, which is the replication component of Skytools.
It's the same general architecture as Slony, but both less powerful and less
complex.

> so my question is anyone has any comments on what other tools out there
> that may allow us to create a postgres standby read-only database? if
> nothing we may just have to walk down the slony-i path...thanks ahead for
> any comments.

Well, the PostgreSQL project is working on readable standby servers.  You need
something right now, though.

The other possibility is to use standby databases to take hourly static
snapshots of the master database.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun