Re: At the end of my teather with LSMB

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 03:52 -0400, Luke wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008, ..hidden.. wrote:
>
> > Quoting Chris Travers <..hidden..>:
> >
> > > Now for midsize businesses entering lots of invoices, this may not be
> > > reasonable.  Basically it means you are extremely limited in terms of
> > > scalability, and after you have a few people in your AR department,
> > > they end up waiting on eachothers' transactions.  Needless to say, I
> > > don't see this as a good thing.
> >
> > ISTR that JD Edwards provided guaranteed consecutive numbering, (but
> > it's a long time since worked with JD Edwards). That software was
> > designed for high-volume transaction processing.  How did they do it?
>
> I don't know, but one method we could look at, is not providing invoice
> numbers for un-posted invoices.
>
> Require printing, emailing, etc., to be done *after* the fact of invoice
> generation and postal, not prior to posting.
> That, combined with the non-editable invoice number field we have been
> talking about, would eliminate this concern completely, I do believe.
> Of course, for some people it will raise a whole set of new concerns, but
> some times that can not be helped when you're trying to solve for the
> majority.
>
> Perhaps make "print" and "email" into checkboxes on the main invoice form.
> Once posting happens, the program carries you through printing and
> emailing processes.  Sort of an "print when done, email when done" idea.
> They would also need defaults to specify their initial states--E.G. an
> internet business may rarely print, but always email; and a shipping
> business may always do both.
>
> Luke

My current system only generates invoice (or anything else) numbers when
printing. If you subsequently want to e-mail it, it has an e-mail button
to do that. After printing, you can re-open (for e-mailing etc) or
re-printing etc, but cannot change the invoice in any way (except to
shorten/edit descriptions which can be needed for including special
instructions, serial numbers etc. This meets the UK accounting and VAT
requirement that all transactions have to be available in hard-copy on
request (to avoid "oh my computer broke" type fraud - yes, the buggers
have though of everything). Printing to a file or spooler gets round a
broken printer...

Cheers
Richard