Re: Transaction reversal - I think

On 20 May 2008, at 14:58, beamends wrote:
The trouble is that running the whole show yourself is 2 x a full-time
jobs anyway, never mind becoming an accountant too!

AOL to that!!

... The issue of Credit Notes has become a major problem
today as well (we deal with the trade a lot) - one of our customers has
just given me a mouthful for not being able to issue a document with
Credit Note at the top as he is going to get grief off his accounts dept
- I just hope we haven't lost him forever....

It is quite easy to use a LaTeX conditional (" \usepackage{ifthen} ") to have your invoice.tex print "Credit Note" instead of "Invoice" if the total at the bottom of the page is a negative amount.

I suppose that one would then need to print all the invoice's negative quantities and values (of individual items) as positives, too, but this is just as easy (fiddly, but not difficult, I think). It won't affect the fact that "Invoice 42" for the returned items shows on your system as "Apples, Qty: -1, Value -£50" but should print out "Credit Note 42, Apples, Qty: 1, Value £50"

My invoice.tex uses conditionals and should point you in the right direction - I'll sanitise it and post it shortly in reply to the "A place for line-item notes on the invoice?" thread (as I have been meaning to do for some days).

Stroller.