Re: Anyone using LedgerSMB in Australia?

I am in Australia and have been using LedgerSMB for over a year now. It works quite well for what I using it for which is a small company with small scale product assembly and sales and some engineering consultancy. I spend quite a bit to get all the invoices and documents look right.

I am on version 1.12. I have installed it on SME Server (see contribs.org) which is CentOS 4.5 based and also runs all the other services in my office like file server, email, website, subversion,  Trac for my software development projects. At the time I was able to install LSMB with just a few extra rpm based perl packages.

Since 1.12 however, the devs have pulled in a number of perl libraries that apparently are not that common and I have been unable to find the corresponding updated rpms for these libraries for CentOS4 or Redhat Enterprise Linux 4. I got a fair way but in the end was unable to resolve some final dependencies and I gave up.

I am not a full blown Linux guru, but I know my way around a fair bit and have installed numerous packages successfully, but LSMB as far as I am concerned it is going backwards in installability. I had several attempts at installing LSMB on my SME Server machine (and clean VMware based installs) without success and it annoys me that it requires packages that are only available for the bleeding edge of distributions but leave stable installations like CentOS 4 out in the cold.

In comparison, I installed various other accounting packages with much more success. One such package was PostBooks that really impressed me when I had it up and running with a configured database within 5 minutes from the download. It's a pitty that it is mainly manufacturing oriented and has little support for keeping track of service type sales (which don't have inventory :-) )

LedgerSMB would be far more popular package if its installation was more easy with minimal dependencies on the installer having to find the right packages. It should really be as easy as 'yum install ledgersmb' and have yum resolve the dependencies from a single repository like dag to be off and running.

Or even if an instant VMware image would be wonderful.

Marco

Phil Rhoades wrote:
People,