Re: batch import and export (CSV)

On 10/31/07, brush <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:45:18PM +1100, Phil Rhoades wrote:
>
> ... (re : importing)

> > > i've looked a bit at *watir, and in worst case scenario that makes
> > > sense, but doesn't it officially qualify as a hopeless hack of a
> > > solution?  or is it a lot simpler and more elegant than it seems it
> > > would be?
> >

> > Yes it is a bit of a hack but the main advantage is that transactions of
> > any kind, that affect any tables, are automatically handled by LS
> > itself, putting things into the right place instead of having to
> > reproduce LS results in scripts . . ie it is just speeding up normal
> > data entry.
>
> ok... so, chris or other folks on dev't, should we consider this as a
> "foreseeable future" option?  or could a basic import functionality be
> nearer term?

Hmmm...  FireWatir looks like it depends on Ruby scripts.  This is
fine, but it raises the question of what we distribute and whether we
should be tied to Perl for the actual core distribution.

IMO, the major question we need to tackle is *how* we want to
structure this.  My own view is that we should break out officially
sponsored add-ons into other download packages.