Custom field/table catalog

Hi,

I look into the database structure and the sourcecode, I found the
custom_field_catalog and custom_table_catalog.
I also found some functions in the code, which should manipulate these
tables.

I would like to know, how can I use this via the interface of the LSMB?

I guess, these fields are for extending products/services by new
properties.
Is this limited only for products/services or it is also usable for
customers/vendors?

I googled around a little bit and I did not find related articles.

Any hints are welcome.

Thank you,
IstvÃn

--