Re: Default dates on transaction entry screens

David,
I like the session date idea, as long as there is some log that a user
entered the system with an altered date so it couldn't be used
"creatively" without leaving a trail somewhere.  Don't know what abuse
it could support, but my experience says there's always someone who will
find a use..  So, on logon or on change from 'today' a quick log of the
request would be good.

Just in case you are saying what I think you are saying...
I am NOT saying that the computer system date should be changed
arbitrarily so LSMB can have screens populated with that date. That
would be a very bad idea, especially because other apps on the machine
would be thrown out. Please tell me that you are NOT suggesting this.

I'm not, although the idea is entertaining in a horrific sort of way :-).  However, I remain by my observation that I'd like to have an idea of who is entering transactions later - there are procedural cut-off dates for such things so it would be nice to see how far away from the red line one operates.

I am only suggesting that an application-session level global
variable(s) hold a date, if the user preference is set. It is set on
each save of certain new transaction records, and used to populate the
screen of any subsequent new transaction record.

That's what I understood you meant, and my comments were in that light (although I have a "mild" -cough- tendency to go off in a tangent :) ).  I think I mentioned before that I'm a big fan of strictness in accounting because I have first hand experience of what happens when that isn't applied, and i rather have an audit log entry too many than not enough..

/// P ///