Re: Default dates on transaction entry screens - ex 1.2.0-rc5 problem with cash receipt

On 4/12/07, David Tangye <..hidden..> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 18:03 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:

> There is a saying, "Less is More."  I think that each setting we add
> needs to have a case behind it.
Yes but Less is usually just that: Less :-).
I gave a case.

No.,  You gave a case for global options and then generalized it to
separate options for invoices, orders, etc.  I see an argument for
having one date setting for everything, not a real-world case where
this setting would need to be for each type of data entry.

>  The last thing we want is a program that is as configurable as, say, Oracle.
The power is partly in the configuration.

As is the cost, both in terms of money and opportunity.  THe big issue
is that a lot of these things are simpler if they are not
configurable.  Simpler for users and simpler for developers.  Besides,
if you need it a differnet way, we will allow you to modify the
workflow scripts to suit yourself.  Can't get more configurable than
that, but the user doesn't have that access.

One needs to make a case that this needs to be a feature of
preferences rather than platform.

Basically, there needs to be a *strong* boundary between settings for
users to use and features for developers to leverage.  For a setting
to be included, I think it needs to be a net gain when you factor in
the added complexity of the application.