Re: Number of Taxes on an item or service

On 4/5/07, Les Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

> You can do that.  Note that with the modular sales tax structure of
> 1.2.0, you can write a tax module to calculate taxes based on whatever
> criteria you want (number of items purchased, what else was on the
> invoice, where the item was shipped to, or other arbitrary criteria.

This would have to happen in OA, since the transactions would be generated
there and then exported to LedgerSMB. We want to report on total A/R for
all students/families, accept payments, etc. within OA... effectively a
limited A/R module.

I suppose if you are supporting MySQL, that would be a requirement...
Otherwise, you could develop OA as essentially an alternative
front-end to LSMB.  We are working on getting the application to a
point where this is feasible.

> I don't know.  I would suggest checking with a CPA about the best way
> to do it.  Since in all cases there would be records indicating where
> an item was shipped, I would think it could go into the same account
> and then broken out later, but I don't know.  In your case, though,
> that might not work so well.

Agreed. I want to avoid too much complexity and leave that to Ledger-SMB
where I can.

>> I'm interested in generating the journal transactions in my app (Open
>> Admin) and then exporting them to ledger-smb. For this to be useful in
>> your area, I would have to know all of your account numbers for these Tax
>> Payable accounts (stored in OA) and then tag the transactions with the
>> appropriate account numbers.... these tax things make everything so...
>> ugly! (grin)
>
> What language are you working in?

OA is written in Perl also. Uses DBI interface to talk to MySQl or
PostgreSQL. LaTeX reports. CGI module to do I/O, etc. Pretty much exactly
like LedgerSMB, I think.

Even if you don't post the transactions, there is no reason why you
can't hook into the perl modules and use them for calculations.  Take
up that discussion on the -devel lists.  We can tell you what is
stable and what is subject to change in the near future.

> You may find some parts easier to
> run through LedgerSMB tax module.  That way you can have uniform
> handling between the school front-end and the accounting back-end.

I'm not sure how I can do that... any ideas welcome. OA is _very_ simple
in most spots.

Take a look at LedgerSMB/Tax.pm and LedgerSMB/Tax/Simple.pm.  Also
look at how these are called in the other Perl scripts.  Yes, I  know
the code we inherited from SL is somewhat hard to follow in places but
we are working on it :-)

I have a fees design document, if interested, at:

http://richtech.ca/openadmin/docs/feesdesign.html

Thanks,

Les R.
Openadmin for Schools