Re: Locale-specific issues?

On 2/6/07, Charley Tiggs <..hidden..> wrote:
Chris Travers wrote:
> Now, we just need to figure out how to deal with the locale specific
> tax handling.  My suggestion is going to be to simply catalog those
> who want to be maintainers of locale-specific modules.  But we could
> bundle them if we have to (I am concerned about being responsible for
> new releases every time anyone changes a tax rule though).  Imagine a
> changelog for 1.2.1233: Updated tax rules for New Hampshire for June
> 15th change.

I'd like to request that one of the ways to deal with this is the
ability to pass a set tax rate in as a value through the API.  That
ways, if an external program already has this figured out, there's no
need for LSMB to handle/manage it.  Currently, you can't pass in the tax
rate via the API at all unless you set up taxes as a service, which
makes me a little uncomfortable but don't really have any other option.

1.2 has an ability to use loadable tax modules.  This allows one to
handle questions like "if I buy a muffin in a Toronto coffee shop, is
it taxable?" where the answer is "It depends on what else you buy."
The loadable tax modules have access to everything on the invoice.