Re: Locale-specific issues?

Hi

 - In particular the invoicing breaks down (in SL!) if you tick the "VAT
Included" box when creating an invoice.  The subtotals don't *appear* to
allow the extraction of the net subtotal figure correctly?

Can you show some examples of exactly what the problem is?

I haven't checked all the latest versions, but the basic issue was that there was no variable which lists the subtotal amount of an invoice *net* of tax.  There are several subtotal variables which are net of vat when you do a normal invoice, but they become gross of VAT when you have the VAT Included box ticked (silly).  Could be changed in either a recent SL or SMB though?

 - The 0% thing is actually interesting because we have both goods at 0% VAT
and vat exempt items.  The handling is slightly different for each even
though they are arguably the same thing...

So, how does the software need to behave?

Not sure actually.  I only have 17.5% standard stuff.

I *think* the issues are that occasionally we are asked to show the amount of vatable revenue we generate and this *includes* the stuff at 0%, but excludes the sales on items which are *exempt*.  So at the very nitty gritty the problem right now is that the taxable sales reports only distinguishes sales which have a zero or non-zero total tax on the invoice.

Actually technically I suspect that the tax report should break an invoice down and show non-taxable items seperately even if the whole invoice had tax on some of the other items.  However, generally speaking I would probably put through two invoices in this case so its a bit moot

Real examples are that buying postage stamps are exempt from tax altogether, whereas if I loose my receipt on an expenses receipt then it's taxable, but I can't reclaim the tax, and some other items are completely vatable but at 0% (fuel?)

It's a real technicality - doesn't actually affect me so I don't have a clear answer...

 - I think you will already cover shipping destinations as a tax calc, but
in the UK at least tax is charged solely on where the customer is receiving
the goods.  Businesses are different, but this is true for indivuals
(basically delivery inside EU charge VAT, delivery outside the EU charge
nothing)

So nothing complicated like tax rate set based on the township you are
sending to?  This is remakrably simple compared to what I have seen
here in the US :-(

Agreed.

All we need for the UK is either:

- Simple override based on shipping destination which flips the tax rate down to zero (if the system were really clever it could look up the country name and flip the rate down based on a lookup, but this is far more sophisticated than I really want!)
- Ability to override the whole invoice vat amount
- Ability to override the vat amount per line item (can achieve the same effect as the above)

 - Rounding is a pain.  Suppose I agree a price of £X for something, there
are several magic numbers where when you go a penny up or down then the
total goes to £X +/- £0.01, but never exactly £X.  It's a pain to have to
convert the whole invoice to "VAT Included" due to it not quite printing
correctly, simply in order to get the desired effect of rounding to the
exact amount

Exact specific problem scenarios would be helpful in helping to
resolve this for you.

If my invoice from a supplier says that I paid £1 net, and 17p vat then this is what I paid, but the system calculates that I paid 18p vat and £0.99 net.  I doubt I will get prosecuted over this, but there is no quick way to fix the data entry on this receipt and technically it's wrong, even if it's just a nominal amount

Then you get complete muppets where the supplier invoice says "£1 net, £0.50 vat".  If it's big enough I might ask for a new invoice, but generally I just want to slap it in, so I tend to just tweak it until the amounts add up to the cash amount.

Then you get further problems where say,

net: £1, gross = £1.17
net: £1.01, gross = £1.19

However, you just agreed to take £1.18 cash from the chap and yet you can't enter in the correct amount to get a correct receipt because the gross amount changes by 2p when you change the product amount by 1p.  This is just plain embarassing...  (I guess the above numbers don't exhibit the problem, but you get a small number of real and round numbers which do do it)

My vote (when we re-engineer the invoice system) is to have AP
invoices be entered exactly *including* the tax information.  In other
words, until the tax box is modified, it will calculate for you but
once you edit it, you are responsible for the numbers.

In the mean time, you will probably need to allow for the calculated
amount and if it is different, post an adjusting GL entry.

Yes, ideally you want each line automatically entered for you, but with the ability to override a very small percentage of them with slightly tweaked numbers.

However, your suggestion is quite interesting.  For most practical purposes it would be *sufficient* if the system had a single box at the bottom of each invoice which allowed you to post in a correcting journal entry at the time each invoice was created...  It's a bit crude, but it would achieve 90% of what people want I should think...

 No, it's easier than that.  The "Margin Scheme" is only applicable where
you have a seperate record book and specifically record each transaction,
what you bought it for, what you paid for it and serial numbers, etc.

Ok, so we will have to wait until we allow for discrete handling of
some objects.

Nope, it can be handled quite happily simply by allowing the tax amount to be entered either per line item, or per invoice (although perhaps this is what you meant?)

Now, we just need to figure out how to deal with the locale specific
tax handling.  My suggestion is going to be to simply catalog those
who want to be maintainers of locale-specific modules.  But we could
bundle them if we have to (I am concerned about being responsible for
new releases every time anyone changes a tax rule though).  Imagine a
changelog for 1.2.1233: Updated tax rules for New Hampshire for June
15th change.

Could someone please give a breakdown of how US tax rules work (big picture) so that I can understand it.  I guess this way we can start to factor out the problem a bit.

I will offer a big picture summary of the EU which is that:

- VAT is charged for each customer based on the rate for that country (and sometimes special rate for a minority of items), ie nearly all invoices for me are gross of 17.5% vat.
- If shipped outside the EU then vat free
- If shipped to a business customer *inside* the EU (but outside your home country) then you record their VAT business number and bill them net of VAT and note down the details on the end of quarter VAT return (ie need to be able to tag these transactions for later reporting)

So basically you pay VAT if you ship anywhere inside the EU, and don't if you ship outside the EU.  Businesses in other EU countries are a special case.

Does this help us get started?

Thanks for listening

Ed W