Re: Tax and locations

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 14:40 +1000, David Tangye wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 21:27 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
>
> > Probably the best solution long-term is to create a system of business
> > rules-based tax calculation
> Do you mean data-driven business rules? or just encoded business rules?
> >  and not tie it into any specific locale-specific model.
> The business rules probably vary according to country (locale). For tax
> there certainly do. eg here in Australia there is a simple single tax
> rate set uniformly across the whole country, for all states, and it does
> not need to know anything about which state the company or its suppliers
> or customers reside in. It does need to know if they are overseas
> though, because imports are tax free and I think exports are tax-free
> too, although don't quote me but I think I recall something about
> exceptions to this.
>
> See where I am going here? ;-)

I have invoices which have mixed tax/no tax line items which have been
impossible on SL. Up to now I have faked it and depended on original
paperwork at audit time. Not really good enough.

I think a zip code model could get very ugly. Especially for non-USA
users.

It seems that if you are going to do this, it needs to be user driven.

My 0.02c