Re: Tax and locations

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 21:27 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:

> Probably the best solution long-term is to create a system of business
> rules-based tax calculation
Do you mean data-driven business rules? or just encoded business rules?
>  and not tie it into any specific locale-specific model.
The business rules probably vary according to country (locale). For tax
there certainly do. eg here in Australia there is a simple single tax
rate set uniformly across the whole country, for all states, and it does
not need to know anything about which state the company or its suppliers
or customers reside in. It does need to know if they are overseas
though, because imports are tax free and I think exports are tax-free
too, although don't quote me but I think I recall something about
exceptions to this.

See where I am going here? ;-)