LedgerSMB
The foundation for your business
Fork me on GitHub
Re: [ledgersmb-devel] Adding to OpenBSD. Is this a good time now?

Re: [ledgersmb-devel] Adding to OpenBSD. Is this a good time now?

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you!

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:46 PM, <..hidden..> wrote:
A lot of Perl modules need to be imported into OpenBSD
in order for it to be installable.
I plan on asking for help to do this from OpenBSD users.
It seems like LedgerSMB would now be a good import with
all of the development of testing, etc.

Are there any big changes on the immediate horizon for 1.5?

Definitely not for 1.5. We're trying hard not to backport stuff to 1.5 which could require additional dependencies or other major (potentially breaking) change; that all should go into 1.6. The assumption is that people want to fix their bugs by upgrading within the 1.5.x series and will be alert to possible upgrade woes when upgrading to 1.6.y and not before. We want to make sure the within-minor-release experience is what people should expect from it.

I'm not running LedgerSMB because of the work that needs
to be done first.

As a side note, I am working on getting the forums back up,
but $$ are a bit of a problem right now. Trying to find a
baremetal server outside of the USA that I can afford hasn't
been successful so far.

Since your business probably needs an installation of LedgerSMB much harder than it would need the forums (and the associated cash drain), can we help you back on your feet by lifting the weight of having to resurrect and pay for the forums from your shoulders? I mean, we're grateful for what you have done over the years hosting the forums, but it seems now isn't a good time for you to be distracted from your primary business. So, what if we could find someone with spare server capacity? Would it be easier to find  a hosting service which fits your requirements instead of a full bare metal server?

I found one, but they charge $30 for
remote access for 24 hours. I can't afford $90 a month, which
is most of what I am finding.

I'm not sure what you mean by "remote access", but Hetzner.DE offers bare metal servers in their server auction starting at 25EUR (~30USD) per month, VNC included. However, if you want to install *BSD on it, I guess you're on your own as they provide standard installation of Windows and a broad range of Linux distributions. [Some searching around found me these instructions on how to install OpenBSD on their systems regardless: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/OpenBSD ]

Thanks,
Chris Bennett

Regards,

--