1.4: Merge request for extensive fixes to import of inventory

Hi all,

The past week, I've been doing work to make inventory importing work. The work is in my own repository and I would like it to be merged to the main repository, both for the master and the 1.4 branch. However, since we have a feature freeze and we're trying to stabilize, I'd like some additional review and would like one of the others to hit the "merge" button on github after their review or comments.

Thanks in advance!

--
Bye,

Erik.