Once I get a 1.3 working I'll look through the upgrade script and amend it to account for my databases. I'll submit patches for this. I'm guessing (hoping) the upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 will be easier when the time comes?One problem with the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 is that the datamodel on 1.3 has been cleaned up and validation rules are a lot tighter now than they ever were before -- ie on 1.2. That makes migration hard. We have a number of checks in place, but probably the checks required for your dataset haven't been implemented yet.
Thanks for the pointer.I saw some errors with regards to the ledgersmb users permissions, so decided to remove that user and follow the 1.3 install instructions to create one with the new 1.3 permissions.
That got me a bit further, and there are less errors in the apache error log when I try to upgrade the database:
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:02 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at LedgerSMB/DBObject/Employee.pm line 107., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:02 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at LedgerSMB/DBObject/Admin.pm line 102., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:02 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at scripts/setup.pl line 1051., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:04 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] rollback ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at lsmb-request.pl line 109., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:04 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at LedgerSMB/App_State.pm line 112., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
But still the upgraded database is empty :(
There are logs in /tmp/ledgersmb which allow you to see which errors occur when setup.pl runs its upgrade scripts. You'll probably find your data is mismatching some data integrity rule.
The install file says:
[ snip ]
I renamed the ledgersmb folder and started with a fresh download. Followed the install instructions, reconfigured ledgersmb.conf, then ran setup.pl to create the database as instructed here:
Although these wasn't any option to create a database?
What do you mean by this remark? You mean that loading http://localhost/ledgersmb/setup.pl didn't give you the option to create a new database? If so, that's great feedback! I never thought of requiring a button like that. The process to follow is to enter a name of a non-existing database, click Login and answer "Yes" to the question "Database does not exist. Create it?"
One way you can create databases fairly easily is by directing your web browser to the setup.pl script at your installed ledgersmb directory. So if the base URL is http://localhost/ledgersmb/, you can access the database setup and upgrade script at http://localhost/ledgersmb/setup.pl. This is very different from the approaches taken by LedgerSMB 1.2.x and earlier and SQL-Ledger, but rather forms a wizard to walk you through the process. Please note that the setup.pl file assumes that LedgerSMB is already configured to be able to access the database and locate the relevant PostgreSQL contrib scripts. In particular, you must have the contrib_dir directive set to point to those scripts properly in your ledgersmb.conf before you begin.
Trying to login to a database that doesn't exist is counter intuitive and doesn't scream out as a way of creating a database. The instructions above only mention going to that script. Once at that script there is no mention of creating a database.
Yeah, I don't want to go there for my real accounts.So I tried the prepare-company-database.sh script instead. Which gave me:
[root@centos ledgersmb]# ./tools/prepare-company-database.sh --company testinc
could not change directory to "/home/accounts/public_html/ledgersmb": Permission denied
cat: ignore/tsearch2.sql: No such file or directory
cat: ignore/tablefunc.sql: No such file or directory
ERROR: column "customer_id" does not exist
ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
As you can imagine, from that point on it didn't work.
I've spent a fair bit of time poking with this now. The idea was that I'd get onto the latest version, then contribute some usability enhancements. I've calculated that I'll actually save more time in the long run by adding some JS to prevent common usability problems, than I've been spending fixing mistakes my book keeper makes.
Again, I'm sorry to hear the 1.3 release is giving you so much headaches. In 1.4, we've removed all dependencies on extensions, partly by requiring newer database versions (than are required for 1.3) and partly by rewriting code that depended on them. That makes installation of 1.4 easier. However, since that's not released for general use yet, I wouldn't suggest you use it.