1.2 to 1.3 Upgrade fun

Hi,
  Trying to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 has been quite an experience thus far. Luckily I backed everything up and have been able to revert back to the old version.

I followed the upgrade notes:
http://sourceforge.net/p/ledger-smb/code/HEAD/tree/branches/1.3/UPGRADE

The setup.pl script didn't work properly, when I looked at the Apache SQL logs it looked like an issue with the DB.

Centos 5 comes with PostgreSQL 8.1. Seeing that the install notes say 8.2+ I figured that might be part of the problem, so I upgraded to PostgreSQL 9.3 using the packages direct from the PostgreSQL site:
http://yum.postgresql.org/repopackages.php
I also added the EPEL repo to get all of those packages to install.

I restored my backed up 1.2 databases, and the ledgersmb user. setup.pl would then run, but the resultant upgraded database was empty :(

I saw some errors with regards to the ledgersmb users permissions, so decided to remove that user and follow the 1.3 install instructions to create one with the new 1.3 permissions.

That got me a bit further, and there are less errors in the apache error log when I try to upgrade the database:

[Mon Mar 16 10:06:02 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at LedgerSMB/DBObject/Employee.pm line 107., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:02 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at LedgerSMB/DBObject/Admin.pm line 102., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:02 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at scripts/setup.pl line 1051., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:04 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] rollback ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at lsmb-request.pl line 109., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl
[Mon Mar 16 10:06:04 2014] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at LedgerSMB/App_State.pm line 112., referer: http://centos.cosmicnetworks.com/ledgersmb/setup.pl

But still the upgraded database is empty :(

I thought that I should start with a fresh 1.3 install, get that working, then try the upgrades again. I dropped all of the old tables and roles. I found this function very useful as lots of ledger roles had been created:

BEGIN;
CREATE SCHEMA util;
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION util.drop_all_roles(pattern name) RETURNS
TEXT AS $$
DECLARE
	r    RECORD;
	sql  TEXT;
	res  TEXT;
BEGIN
	res := 'Dropped: ';
	FOR r IN SELECT rolname FROM pg_roles WHERE rolname LIKE pattern
	LOOP
		sql := 'DROP ROLE ' || quote_ident(r.rolname);
		res := res || r.rolname || ' ';
		EXECUTE sql;
	END LOOP;
	res := substr(res, 1, length(res)-1);

	RETURN res;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

COMMENT ON FUNCTION util.drop_all_roles(name) IS
$$Drop all roles matching the supplied pattern.
$$;

COMMIT;
Then I could run:
SELECT util.drop_all_roles('lsmb_%');
Which cleared out all of the lsmb roles.

I renamed the ledgersmb folder and started with a fresh download. Followed the install instructions, reconfigured ledgersmb.conf, then ran setup.pl to create the database as instructed here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/ledger-smb/code/HEAD/tree/branches/1.3/INSTALL
Although these wasn't any option to create a database?
So I tried the prepare-company-database.sh script instead. Which gave me:

[root@centos ledgersmb]# ./tools/prepare-company-database.sh --company testinc
could not change directory to "/home/accounts/public_html/ledgersmb": Permission denied
cat: ignore/tsearch2.sql: No such file or directory
cat: ignore/tablefunc.sql: No such file or directory
CREATE EXTENSION
CREATE EXTENSION
CREATE EXTENSION
UPDATE 86
ERROR:  column "customer_id" does not exist
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
ROLLBACK

As you can imagine, from that point on it didn't work.

I've spent a fair bit of time poking with this now. The idea was that I'd get onto the latest version, then contribute some usability enhancements. I've calculated that I'll actually save more time in the long run by adding some JS to prevent common usability problems, than I've been spending fixing mistakes my book keeper makes.

Given the error I'm getting from a fresh install, there is something wrong with the current release. Any idea when this will be rectified?

Lyle