Re: Getting Back to testing 1.4

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM, <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi Turtle;
>

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM, <..hidden..> wrote:
>
>> Greetings all I am finally getting back to setting up a 1.4. test system
>> for step one of our BIG migration project.
>> I upgraded my svn today to 6104
>> I had set up a test database a few months ago and now I get the
>> notorious
>> looping apache authorization box.
>>

> We should put together a FAQ item on how to troubleshoot this.
>
> The place to look first is in your Postgres logs.  You should see one of
> two things there.  Either you will get an error that the username of the
> process that runs Apache is not a role in PostgreSQL or you will get
> something telling you why authentication failed.  But the first question
> is
>
> Is the username properly passed over?

Hey thanks Chris. I am getting
FATAL:  role "apache" does not exist.
I am taking that to mean mod rewrite is working.
And I need to do some additional configuration here.
In psql I did a
CREATE ROLE apache;
ALTER ROLE apache LOGIN;

No need to do that.  You can drop the apache role.

Here's an explanation of how the authentication is supposed to work.

LedgerSMB checks for credentials passed in the http authentication header and uses those to log into the database.  These are typically provided from the initial _javascript_ xmlhttprequest call on the login screen.  Consequently an inability to log into LedgerSMB usually means that something in that pipeline is not working.

Apache, by design, does not directly pass the authentication header on to CGI scripts.  This is intentional  because it provides some protection against malicious scripts grabbing login credentials.  To forward the header we have to use mod_rewrite.

Anyway it looks like this has been corrected below in your configuration so I will move on to the next set of concerns.

and am still getting the looping auth box.
Logs state that the database I want to create does not exit.
Thanks in davance
-Turtle