Re: Getting Back to testing 1.4

Hi Turtle;

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM, <..hidden..> wrote:
Greetings all I am finally getting back to setting up a 1.4. test system
for step one of our BIG migration project.
I upgraded my svn today to 6104
I had set up a test database a few months ago and now I get the notorious
looping apache authorization box.

We should put together a FAQ item on how to troubleshoot this.

The place to look first is in your Postgres logs.  You should see one of two things there.  Either you will get an error that the username of the process that runs Apache is not a role in PostgreSQL or you will get something telling you why authentication failed.  But the first question is

Is the username properly passed over?

 if not, it is an Apache configuration issue (specifically, mod_rewrite is not enabled).  The instructions for enabling mod_rewrite may differ depending on your distro.  For Debian and friends, a2enmod mod_rewrite is sufficient.  Other distros may vary.

However if the username is properly passed over, then the problem will be fleshed out in the logs.  You are likely to see a message like:

1.  ident authentication failed for user 'postgres'  (Note in some versions you may see 'peer' instead of 'ident')

This is caused by the pg_hba.conf setting up ident authentication for the postgres superuser.  You will need to look at the database section of the ledgersmb.conf to determine how you want to connect (I recommend putting in the IP address of the host there)

2.  password authentication failed for user 'postgres'

This can be caused either by an expired  password or by a bad password.  To address this, log in via psql and:

alter user postgres with password 'mysecretpassword' valid until 'infinity';

If this is for another user, you can set it valid until 'tomorrow' and have them change password on first login.

Ok I am fine with ditching my test database since nothing was in it.
Now setting up a new test system:
Now setup.pl is doing the same looping apache authorization box.
Under the apache auth box setup.pl says:

Database Management Console
Superuser Credentials
Database <input box>
and a login button

My understanding is that I put my postgres super user postgres in the auth
box and my postgres password. Then it should let me go on to
the input box which is the name of the new database?

Yep.  Also if it is your old db it will try to roll forward any db changes.  This is somewhat hit and miss during the beta, naturally.

At that point login button should create a dataset and let me log into a
setup?
Is this correct?

Correct.

Cheers