Re: SSL explanation (was: Re: Global Namespaces)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Adam Thompson wrote:

Chris Travers wrote:
On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Luke<..hidden..>  wrote:
I am assuming SSL.  Correct me if I am wrong, but my recollection is that
the query string (I.E. get) is in the clear with SSL, whereas post data is
not.
Do I have a fundimental misunderstanding or massive brain fart here?

The SSL negotiation occurs as part of the socket establishment (hence
the name).  This is why you can't supply different certificates based
on, say, the HOST header.  SSL protects the whole socket, not just the
payload.

Translation: yes, you have a fundamental misunderstanding.  The second
most common one, in my experience, so I won't accuse you of a "massive
brain fart", as amusing as that might be :-).

Since understanding of how SSL works is still quite rare in practice,
and *many* people arrive at erroneous conclusions based on incorrect or
incomplete knowledge, I'd like to expand a bit on Chris' statements:

Very nice explanation. If, at some point in the last [disterbingly large number of years building SSH and VPN tunnels of various kinds] I had stopped for a bit to consider the name in depth, I might have got there. I certainly should have, and I'm going to tell myself that I would have, if I had only taken the time to really think about it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

That fine writeup goes into my "useful stuff to keep around and forward" file.

Luke