Re: Best practice for customization to allow persistance between versions?

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try to keep my mods as far from the
release code as possible.

And on that thought. Would I be better off making my ecommerce scripts
interact with ledgersmb through the ledger perl scripts via POST, or by
directly accessing the database? E.g. Suppose I fill up my cart with items I
want to put in a quote - should I post these to oe.pl, or just insert them
into the orderitems table?

I'm thinking the former would be a better option... as I don't know which
tables are updated when a new quote is entered. Then again, interacting with
the perl scripts is probably more likely to cause troubles in future
releases...

I'd definitely be interested in trying your engine, or at least checking the
code out for some idea of what to do. I've looked at Agora, but it is so
full of stuff I don't need.