Re: Best practice for customization to allow persistance between versions?

woodvorg wrote:
I would like to add some functionality to LSMB. Briefly:

1) Reading in my supplier's price list (CSV) and storing everything in the
parts / partsvendor tables. I want to be able to do this at the click of a
button in the interface, as the price list is updated daily.
2) Adding an e-commerce style parts browser, with a hierarchy of categories
to make it easy to find parts, and a 'shopping cart' to allow me to add the
parts I want to a list, then create invoices and quotations from the cart.

My question is, what is the best approach to implementing this stuff, such
that when the next version comes out it is easy to restore my customizations
to the newly released code?

So far what I'm thinking is I'd modify the perl and place modified files in
/bin/custom, and store the diff of each file I've modified. Then when a new
version comes out, I can just use patch to restore my my mods.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
-Andrew.

Check it all out using git, branch it and make your edits to your hearts content...

...all the cool cats are using git these days... ;-)