Re: where to start -- what Linux distro? (fwd)

On 26 May 2008, at 08:29, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
I worry that a browser isn't going to be responsive enough for
efficient data-entry.

Depends on your usage, I'd guess. LedgerSMB runs on an old Pentium 4 here - one of the old 133mhz FSB ones that someone gave me because it was knackered.

My desktop Mac was admittedly a high-end model when it was new, but it is 4 years old now, and I frequently have so many browser windows open that new ones are slow rendering. Not so much new LedgerSMB windows, tho'.

From my experience of Ledger it might not be quite responsive enough if you were a really fast typist and sitting there entering hundreds of invoices, but it's perfectly fine for the salesman on the telephone to the customer "ok, one of those, and two of those, and ...".

You simply enter the first three digits of the part number, hit enter, select the appropriate part from a list with the mouse, click "select" and the cursor is already in the correct box for the next part number when the "inputting invoice" screen reloads. If you enter the full part number - or just enough digits to uniquely identify it - then you save a couple of steps, and you can do all the part entry on the one screen. Yes, this page does reload web 1.0 style after each update (loading the description for each part, the user having entered the part number), but there's no way you'd be in the situation where you'd be having to apologise to the customer "hang on, mate, I'm just waiting for the computer". We've all been on the receiving end of that, many times, but I'm pretty confident in saying the LedgerSMB won't give you that problem.

Stroller.