LedgerSMB 1.3. PostgreSQL 8.3, and full text search

Hi all;

I am wondering what everyone thinks we should do about full text
search, PostgreSQL 1.3, and tsearch2.    PostgreSQL 8.3 will be
changing a lot of the full text search interface.  Personally I want
to stay as far away from maintaining multiple schemas as possible
because this is a recipe for having lots fo bugs go unfixed for some
users.

Basically it comes back to one of the possibilities for the original
Occam's Razor:
"One should not needlessly multiply entities."

I see a couple of possibilities:
1)  I don't know if this is possible but if we can create a "wrapper"
for PostgreSQL 8.3 which mimics the old behavior, we can simply add
that as an optional db script.
2)  If not, I am going to suggest we go through and abstract out the
tsearch2 stuff so that this can be mapped to both old and new
behavior.

I have asked on pgsql-general whether or not there is enough interest
in such a wrapper to warrant a pg-foundry project.  If so, that would
be the best way to reduce our own maintenance cost.

One final option we might have is to simply refuse to support
PostgreSQL 8.3 in LSMB1.3 and apply one of the above fixes for 1.4.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?