Input needed.

Hello All,

After some discussions with Chris Travers over on the -users list, I
have decided to attempt to make some changes to LSMB for my own personal
usage but would gladly contribute back anything useful (or even
marginal) that I can come up with.  To that end, I am writing to make
sure that what I am about to attempt a) will fit with LSMB in the best
way possible b) is not a duplicated effort c) doesn't step on anyones
toes ;)

Here's what I'm thinking and why...

I am a small time consultant and bill on a monthly basis -- LSMB seems
to have everything I need with one small exception -- I'd like to create
a non-customer based project (no problem), enter a time card against
that project and, *on the time card*, have a drop-down list of customers
from which to select for billing.  I realize that I can enter the time
cards, generate sales orders, and *then* select the customer at that
time -- which, functionally, is what I'm after but is a bit less than
convenient for how I work.

So, being a bit of a Perl programmer (although a bit rusty), I began to
look at the LSMB code to see how one would shoehorn in a customer
selection function on the 'add timecard' page.  All I can say it, wow.

After a few hours I came to think that my life would be simpler if I
created a new module, called something like VendorCustomer.pm, that
would provide all the needed functions  to customer/vendor info... most
importantly, a 'get_customer' function that could return a drop-down
selection list and provide a drop-in replacement for the current
get_customer routine in the PE and RP modules.  I would think that it
could easily be expand it to include add, delete, update, etc. and start
to be dropped in all around.

Well, anyway, before I go chasing rabbits and put the time in to fix
things the way *I* want them, I thought it only prudent to address you,
the developers, so as to avoid any duplicated effort, get your input,
and see if this would be a useful thing to do, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions here?  Apologies if I'm sticking my nose where
it doesn't belong -- feel free to tell me to go away. :)

Regards
Del