Re: GPL v3? Other license options?

Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> On Saturday 18 August 2007 13:47:32 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> As a core member, if it were up to me, we would ditch GPL all together.
>
>  Fortunately IMO, we're not able to do so without a total re-write of the
> software.

Which is in the process of happening ;)

>> I don't subscribe to the ideology present within it nor do I drink RMS
>> brand kool aid.
>
>  Ok, sorry, the 'kool aid' remark does go beyond simply stating your point of
> view, as you are branding the people who like the GPL (myself for one) as
> cultists and delusional. I may be delusional, but I don't belong to any cult.

Actually no. I have no problem with people that believe the GPL or the
GPL thought process. I have software that I have released under the GPL
including LedgerSMB code ;).

This part of this thread will go no where positive in a hurry, I would
be happy to discuss it directly with you. I will say though that I do
not believe that you are part of any cult or that you are delusional.

>> Does that mean that I am anti FOSS software? Hardly, in fact you would
>> be hard pressed to find a larger advocate. What is does mean, is that I
>> am a realist and I am pragmatic about it.

> (tm) and be able to run away with the milk, the cows and the farm to boot.
> The GPL is what protects everyone from this - it puts all the companies at
> the same level, and it turns the software (the OS anyway) into a commodity
> rather than something they can hold everyone for ransom with.

The GPL had nothing to do with this beyond it being a license that fit
the model at the time. The OSL provides the same provisions without the
rhetoric. If you read the OSL, you will see that it is very GPL like.

>  Now, having said that, I don't see any particular reason at the moment to
> move to GPL v3. It's new, and it rarely pays to be an early adopter unless
> you're doing cutting edge stuff - and frankly there's nothing cutting edge
> about accounting or simple web apps. So, I think we're best to stay the
> course and let the GPL v3 take hold (or not), discuss the option as something
> to consider (or not) for the future and leave it at that.

Agreed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake