Re: Gentoo ebuild?

Hi

Not sure I understand the need to maintain all the perl dependencies.
Will Gentoo not allow you to just run cpan and install those
dependencies required?

Yes it will. Furthermore if you see something you like in CPAN and there is no package available in the gentoo packaging system then you simply use g-cpan and it builds you a package right there and then. Cool huh. Try that on redhat...

However, the question was how to make an ebuild which depends on packages not yet in mainstream portage. Answer is quite simple - simply make the ebuild depend on the correct dependencies as though they were in portage. Use g-cpan or whatever to build the dependent ebuilds and submit them all as separate bugs to the gentoo bugzilla (or if there are loads of them you might get away with sticking them all under one bug... Not sure)

You would simply mention on the bug that a user could build all the dependencies easily with ..... and perhaps paste in the relevant g-cpan builds

Same too for your ebuild, perhaps just add a comment near the top with the correct commands for building all the dependencies quickly - don't feel that this is your problem - it's a separate issue to get the dependencies sorted (but I think most of them will be trivial?)

Will look through your ebuild shortly, but agree that webapps is the best location to shoot for at this stage. I think that sql-ledger is in there?

Cheers

Ed W