Re: Gentoo ebuild?

--- David Bandel <..hidden..> wrote:
> Not sure I understand the need to maintain all the perl dependencies.
> Will Gentoo not allow you to just run cpan and install those
> dependencies required?

Yes, but any modules installed by plain cpan will not be managed by the portage
packaging system, the use of which is a good system-administration goal.

The utility g-cpan takes cpan a package name and generates ebuilds (portage
packaging definitions) for that package and any still-unpackaged cpan
dependencies.

However, these generated ebuilds are local to the user's machine, so for
widespread deployment, getting all LedgerSMB dependencies accepted into
upstream portage or an interest-group portage overlay is the way to make it
easy for other users to install LedgerSMB.