Re: Where we are going with 1.3

On Sunday 25 March 2007 15:31, Chris Travers wrote:
> I am not entirely sure why database storage is necessary for RESTful
> access.  I.e. RESTful defines how the client and web server
> communicate, and that has nothing to do with how the web server
> handles the request or where the data is stored.

w/ REST, we could have a command line tool to post files once they've been
changed.  Not really nessecary, but I can see how REST would be useful to
edit templates.

Or, we can configure our web server with WebDAV, and use  Cadaver
(http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/), hook authentication so it works with our
auth system, and provide kind-of-a-virtual path for all templates that can be
edited with WebDAV.  This is almost kinda sorta like REST, as now it supports
more verbs that WebDAV clients support (which usually perform file
transfers).

> > > CON:
> > >   a)  makes it harder to edit using a basic text editor.

I believe a lot of web content editors support WebDAV.

KDE's VFS certainly does, and 'kate' is a wonderful editor..

Jason