Re: Debian packages and Bruce Hohl Install

You may not know whether an mta or the postmaster are running
or otherwise available remotely perhaps, unless you ask the
user doing the install.  You can test for an mta and a local
database engine and prompt to learn whether the administrator
performing the install would rather use a remote db engine,
would prefer to set an existing known password for the purpose,
or might prefer to make note of how to manually run the post
install script after these other matters (configuring the mta,
locking down the postgres engine) are handled.

sql-ledger has continued to serve people needing a double entry
system other than major manufacturers.  smb-ledger can too.
Small non-profits and home based businesses can use these
tools too.  Those folks don't have IT staffs to work out
these details for them.

I'd suggest the following as a screen of your user interface
during the post install script.  If the deb package could
prompt first perhaps as follows:

	How would you like to configure smb-ledger?

	* I may or may not be an accountant, but I'm certainly
	now a server administrator, please handle this for me.
	My postgres database is installed on the same machine
	as my webserver and this application.  Please provide
	me default settings to serve my needs.

	* I want to customize my database connection parameters
	(perhaps to provide for a non local connection to
	the database backend, or an unusual port assignment),
	or configure for a remote mail transfer agent, etc.

	* I want to run this post install script manually
	after I have had an opportunity to configure my mail
	transfer agent and secure my database server.

	To run this script manually later, either instead
	of running it now or in order to adjust your base
	configuration of SMB-Ledger, as root, from a prompt,
	invoke:
		/path/to/post-install-script.sh

-- Hugh Esco
CampaignFoundations.com