Re: Community Documentation Architecture, was LaTeX templates, was Docmentation/FAQs

Josh,

> For every person that is user LateX, there are a 1000 using XML and
> specfically for technical documentation DocBook has taken over. Every
> major publisher excepts *only* three forms of source for their material:
>
> Docbook
> OO (using MS Word Templates)
> MS Word

That's not accurate.  Pearson, for example, accepts LaTeX but not Docbook.

> However, it is not a difficult requirement for developers to be expected
> to document in docbook or to provide the user "manual" in docbook.

I disagree pretty strongly.  What Docbook lacks for some reason I've never
understood is any easy-to-use GUI tools.  For LedgerSMB to grow, we want
to have our user base contributing documentation, *especially* the users
who are not capable of contributing code.   Adopting a doc framework which
requires significant knowledge of markup to contribute documentation is
not the way to do this.

We need to use something which allows doc contributors to "just write" and
not need them to acquire specialized technical knowledge beyond knowledge
of LedgerSMB.   So, HTML, LaTeX, OO, wiki, whatever, but NOT Docbook.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun