SOLVED! (was: Re: PostgreSql Version)

Chris and all, thanks for your kind replies.

The culprit was a clumsy Ubuntu upgrade from PostgreSql 7.4 to 8.0 . I
de-installed 7.4 and after installing 8.0, part of the installation was
pointing at the 7.4 data dir! I was tipped from your mail by running the
db script directly from psql and I noticed ledger-smb and psql where
looking at different db lists!

Here is how I fixed it:
I de-installed both versions, cleared all the directories, config files,
etc. and re-installed a fresh pg 8.0. BTW, It seems the "postgresql-8.0"
packages are broken in Unbuntu 5.6 because I had to manually initialize
the cluster and create the init.d scripts by hand. I think it's because
the "postgresql" (base pkg, which I am speculating contains the init.d
scripts) is transitional and still for 7.4.

Good thing I had backed up all the databases before messing with this!

As I stated in a previous mail, I think the pg 8.0 move will
definitively have an impact on Debian users (specially "stable" users).
If any other Ubuntu / Debian users may have these problems they can talk
to me and I can walk them through this upgrade, or try to guide them as
to how to have pg 8.0 on a stable dist by doing "apt-pinning".

Everything seems to be working fine now!

Thanks again,
Alejandro