Re: Thoughts on Voiding Invoices

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 13:22 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> My own preference would be to back-date the COGS adjustment to the day
> the invoice was originally posted.  We can also add a VOID flag to the
> reversal transaction so that one can have reports of voided invoices
> so as to post relevant adjustments as needed.

I second this. But we must always look at the business issues also. In
many places the VAT is paid to the govt every month so there is no way
you can void an invoice after that. Voiding invoices should be done
within a day or a few days from emission, and only of customer has not
accepted or received the good or service. From then on, it cannot be
voiding, but rather a matter or returns, warranty claims and so forth.

> At some point, we probably also want database-level controls on
> closing of books, so that one is not allowed to post *any*
> transactions to dates prior to the date when the books were closed.

Sounds good.