LedgerSMB
The foundation for your business
Fork me on GitHub
[ledgersmb-users] Re: Error finding template

[ledgersmb-users] Re: Error finding template

Hi Erik,

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:29:02PM +0100, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> That's correct: the directory is transient and that makes this a bit hard
> to diagnose. The reason the log file is being opened for input (by
> LedgerSMB) is that it tries to establish whether a re-run would be required
> to resolve any references within the document. This isn't usually the case
> for invoices, but the driver is a generic LaTeX runner, so for other types
> of documents this may matter (and we cannot exclude people using documents
> where it *does* matter).

That all makes sense - thanks.

> What I usually do to see what the problem could be, is to download the
> rendered template which is used as the latex input. (The document without
> the header and footer lines.) Then I run pdflatex manually on the server
> with that file as its input. If there is a problem with the template or
> with the pdflatex setup, running from a terminal shows 90% of the problems.

I actually did that a couple of days ago when the printing returned the
latex source rather than the postscript - I was able to run that by hand
and it seemed to process fine. The resulting postscript looked OK and
there were no errors that I could determine.

I have re-done it now (having removed the 1st and last lines to allow
delivery of the latex to the user) and here is the full output:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./goagain.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, b
ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch, esperanto, e
stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar, norsk, polis
h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish, swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/koma-script/scrartcl.cls
Document Class: scrartcl 2004/09/16 v2.9t LaTeX2e KOMA document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/koma-script/scrlfile.sty
Package scrlfile, 2004/09/16 v2.9t LaTeX2e KOMA package
                  Copyright (C) Markus Kohm

) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size11.clo)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/koma-script/typearea.sty
Package typearea, 2004/09/16 v2.9t LaTeX2e KOMA package
                  Copyright (C) Frank Neukam, 1992-1994
                  Copyright (C) Markus Kohm, 1994-2002

)) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/xypic/xy.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/xypic/xy.tex Bootstrap'ing: catcodes, docmode,
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/xypic/xyrecat.tex)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/xypic/xyidioms.tex)

 Xy-pic version 3.7 <1999/02/16>
 Copyright (c) 1991-1998 by Kristoffer H. Rose <..hidden..>
 Xy-pic is free software: see the User's Guide for details.

utility macros; pictures: \xy, positions, objects, decorations;
kernel objects: directionals, circles, text; options; algorithms: directions,
edges, connections;  Xy-pic loaded)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/xypic/xyframe.tex
 Xy-pic option: Frame and Bracket extension v.3.7 loaded))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tools/tabularx.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tools/array.sty))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tools/longtable.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/inputenc.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/latin1.def))

LaTeX Warning: Unused global option(s):
    [a4wide].

No file goagain.aux.

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 52--102

Overfull \hbox (298.76408pt too wide) in alignment at lines 145--151
 [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Package longtable Warning: Column widths have changed
(longtable)                in table 1 on input line 151.

Package longtable Warning: Table widths have changed. Rerun LaTeX.

Overfull \hbox (6.98332pt too wide) has occurred while \output is active
 |[]

Overfull \vbox (4.47362pt too high) has occurred while \output is active
[1] (./goagain.aux) )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on goagain.dvi (1 page, 1984 bytes).
Transcript written on goagain.log.

This has produced a .dvi file and I can convert that to postscript with
dvips just fine.

> Just as a side-note, which version of LaTeX::Driver are you using? (`perl
> -MLaTeX::Driver -e 'print "$LaTeX::Driver::VERSION\n";'` should tell you.)

It is version 0.300.2.

> Ok. This looks good in terms of the number of newline characters at the end.

Great - we can rule that out.

> > I would appreciate any further insight you might have. If there is
> > up-to-date documentation for the templates that would be good to see also.
> >

> The most up-to-date documentation for templating that I have is:
> https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/blob/master/doc/templating/templating-guide.tex
> ; recently I started to collect all available template variables, with the
> intent to document them. The variables are available (by name) at
> https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/wiki/Template-variables.
>
> Let me know where your priorities lie, that'll help focus the effort to the
> immediately useful.

Really, we need to get the postscript/pdf output working. Not being able
to generate printable invoices is a stopper. If there's any extra
debugging or similar that we can enable to track down why the latex
process is giving these failures that would be great.

In the meantime I will go through the templating guide and see if there
is anything in there which I can use to solve this.

Thanks again,

Pete
https://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036