Re: Seek more attention; Re: Better tools for community cohesion?

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On 08/02/2013 04:17 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> I'd really be in favor of item #1 from Marjan's list -- move to git

   I'm certainly in favor of that...<g>

> and github.

   Although it doesn't necessarily follow that the primary public GIT
repo for LedgerSMB would need to be there (and who would maintain it?
Unless an organization type account was set up for it...) since
SourceForge supports GIT repositories as well.  And one can have
multiple types of repositories as well as sub projects with their own
repositories.   (Historically, LedgerSMB has been at SourceForge;  I
can see expanding out from there but not stopping the use of it
altogether...)

   OTOH, and also;  I understand that there is an SVN interface at
GitHub available now (read about it recently;  don't recall where),
which I was going to look into when I had the chance...

> I spent an hour or so Wednesday evening attempting to get a clean git-svn
> copy of the subversion tree, so I could commit my UI changes branch to
> Subversion. And failed. ....

   Failed in what way?  And did you use the 'new' URL for the SVN repo?

   I planned to redo the git-svn based repo I was running (which
stopped working with the URL change) but that got side tracked due to
various issues and then a move due to a new job.
Once I'm set up again, I'll be continuing with that as I also plan to
include branches from the debian packaging SVN repository as well.

   Something else I'll be continuing to look into is to use Launchpad
to mirror the LedgerSMB SVN repository to BZR (at the existing
Launchpad LedgerSMB project...), then use git-bzr to pull the branches
from there to my git repo.  That way, there would be one place that
mirrors the SVN repo to a distributed SCM and it does so
automatically.  (Note that there are already BZR branches for
LedgerSMB because of the packaging;  I'd just like to have a more
complete mirror instead of just the releases that make it to
Ubuntu...)   Kinda convoluted, perhaps, but it might be usable...

--
Robert J. Clay