Re: Seek more attention; Re: Better tools for community cohesion?

Hi Marjan,

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Marjan Waldorp <..hidden..> wrote:

If the LSMB project wants to seek more attention, there might be some issues to consider:

1. Move to Git
Today SVN is really old fashioned.
This might label LSMB as old fashioned and might distract new developers.
Move to Git! github?
We moved from SVN to Git ourselves. Git is the better tool, definitely.

2. Be present on CPAN, the heart of the Perl community.

3. Consider rebasing LSMB onto Perl Dancer
Perl Dancer is a modern Web Application Framework.
It's powerfull, it's hot.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Let me start by saying that - by looking at the download stats - we're not doing too bad, probably even doing quite well: downloads per month are back up at levels which we could only dream of 2 years ago. One of the main issues with accounting systems - and LedgerSMB has an accounting system at the heart - is that hacking on one just isn't cool. It should happen with a lot of care.

Additionally, accountants are typically not looking for cool. They're looking for "does it fit my purpose", "does it fit my workflow" and - most importantly - "is it guaranteed to be stable".

Personally, I'm with Darald on point number 3: it's a lot of work to rewrite LedgerSMB. We're working on it, but it just isn't happening as fast as we'd like. However, that has little to do with "using the wrong framework" but more so with the fact that developer resources on our project have been limited over the last years.

There was some discussion on the developers mailing list recently which might change that though: a number of people have stepped up to start working on the font end - i.e. the web browser UI. Since the developers who stepped up to work on that are not part of the group of developers who can rewrite the LedgerSMB core as well as that they are experienced web application developers, I think this is a great step: it'll definitely improve LedgerSMB's UI as well as the development pace.

Of course, there are always areas where more contributions are highly welcomed. Things like: testing, translations, demo or actual templates and UI improvements to name just a few for people interested in development. Those interested in the community side of things might more like to contribute to answer questions in forums, the mailing list or help complete the book.

--
Bye,

Erik.

http://efficito.comÂ-- Hosted accounting and ERP.