Re: Installation woes on Ubuntu

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Vincenzo Romano
<..hidden..> wrote:
> 2012/11/10 Robert J. Clay <..hidden..>:
>> Did you create a user for the company db you created?
>> And use that for the logon.pl page? Also, how did you do
>> the install?

> I followed in some way the article at howtoforge
>(http://goo.gl/aXGMn).

   Ah, yes;  that's a bit out of date, particularly since LedgerSMB is
now included directly in Ubuntu.   LedgerSMB 1.3.18 is what is
currently in Ubuntu 12.10 and v1.3.23 is in what will be 13.04
(raring).   (I plan to back port the newer versions of LedgerSMB to at
least the current Ubuntu LTS versions...)

> I had to make some minor changes (<10%) as I am running Kubuntu 12.10.

   Any particular reason why you're not using the packages already in
Ubuntu?   The package doesn't configure the 'ledgersmb' db user   like
I want it to yet (an issue with the packaging, not with LedgerSMB
itself), but that's easily corrected manually.

> I'm not sure I've caught the many username/password I have
> to set and provide in order to have the application working ...

   For normal ops (i.e.;  login.pl), at least one company database
user that has access to that company and sufficient rights to either
do everything him or herself, or has the access to add the necessary
users for the work to be done.

   For the 'setup.pl' login;  a (IIRC, separate from the above company
db user) postgresql database user with superuser rights.

> But yes, I first created a database with the PGSQL administrative
> user (postgres)

    Wasn't there a company db user created during that process?   Note
that the initial password for that user expires after 24 hours...

.
> There I also created a LedgerSMB administrative user.
> I used the latter in order to login ... well, to try to.

   What are you thinking of as being the "LedgerSMB Administrative
user"?  The one that comes to my mind for that phrase is the DB
superuser used for creating company databases and the initial users
for them.   That's not the same thing as a company db user that has
admin rights on a particular company db...

--
Robert J. Clay
..hidden..