Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Ledger-smb-users] deleting an invoice

Hi all,

To help trainee bookkeepers, I always keep a current backup / training copy of my books. They prepare the invoice or posting in the test copy and when the senior validates it as correct, they copy it over to production.

If you don't want to work that way: simply revoke their right to post the invoices. Seniors can verify before posting the invoice without causing the extra confusing postings.

I really believe there's a process or social issue behind this and as Chris said, deleting poses issues for which there is no acceptable answer from a finance perspective.

Also: an invoice is a claim on someone's assets. If you cancel that claim, you should keep records that you did.

Concluding: I'm not at all on favor of supporting deletion. If voided invoices need comments to make the books understandable, there's the option to add internal notes.

My 2c.

Bye,

Erik.

sent from my phone

On Aug 31, 2012 11:40 AM, "Lyle" <..hidden..> wrote:
On 31/08/2012 06:27, Chris Travers wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Nigel Titley <..hidden..
> <mailto:..hidden..>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/08/2012 20:29, Tone Irene Andersen wrote:
>     > Hi.
>     >
>     > You arent suppose to delete an invoice, rather void it. If you
>     delete it you
>     > make issues in your books.
>     >
>     That's true, but he shouldn't be getting an pg error message,
>     especially
>     if there is a "delete" button for him to press
>
> This is true.  I forget what we decided to do about this in 1.3.  In
> 1.4 you can't delete but you can void.  The thing is:

As I understand, even Quickbooks has a delete option. The thing is,
certainly for new and trainee bookkeepers, you make so many mistakes
that the books simply wouldn't be readable without this.

> What do other people think?

I think it should be supported properly.

Lyle

Live Security Virtual Conference