Installing lsmb 1.3.20 on OS X 10.6.8

I have installed ledgersmb-1.3.20 on OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) with Perl 5.8.9 and a clean install of PostgreSQL 9.1.4. Using PgAdmin3 I see a single database named 'postgres' and I confirmed the user 'postgres'. I'm having difficulty setting up the first company database with either of the 2 options.

1. When I connect to http://localhost/ledgersmb/setup.pl with my browser I see the Database Management Console with Super-user login:postgres, Password:___  , and Database:___
but I am not clear whether I should attempt to connect to the postgres database to get started. This is complicated by the fact that the postgres install created a hidden user postgres without a password and I will need to figure out how set one.

2. Executing '$ ./tools/prepare-company-database.sh --company testinc' as root gives me an error
getopt: illegal option -- l
apparently because OS X has the BSD 'getopt' rather than the GNU 'getopt', according to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/402377/using-getopts-in-bash-shell-script-to-get-long-and-short-command-line-options (see answer # 19). This is beyond my knowledge of bash but can I comment out the if-then part which uses getopt if I just use the single '--company testinc' option as written?

I have kept a record of the install process which I shall share if I can get the last steps working.

Regards,
Paul Bente