Re: How ready is Ledger-SMB?

On 17/04/12 19:38, Kevin Bailey wrote:
Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but thought I'd make sure.

We've currently been using SQL-Ledger for nine years - but we're looking to switch away when our new tax year starts on 1st October 2012.  I'm definitely not looking to move the existing data from the existing accounts system - we're looking for a clean start for various reasons.

My question is - is Ledger SMB ready for production use?  Obviously it's FOSS software so there's no guarantees of any sort expected - and we'd carry out our own backups (printed and DB dumps) and take responsibility for our own systems - but I wondered if LSMB is being used in anger by companies.  We're UK based and I'm used to setting up SL to work within UK's VAT setup etc.

We'd like to be good citizens of LSMB - we're coders ourselves and would be happy to work with bug reports, suggestions, patches etc.  Also, we'd be happy to submit any docs we build up back to the project.

Looking longer term - it may well be that we'd be in a position to supply hosted account packages to our clients - and LSMB could be a good basis for that service.

Thanks for your help,
--
Kevin Bailey
Director/Programmer - Freeway Projects Limited

Recycle for Amnesty
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Better than sec? Nothing is better than sec when it comes to monitoring Big Data applications. Try Boundary one-second resolution app monitoring today. Free. http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-dev2dev
LSMB is fine for UK use, it seems quite a few companies use it - I used it a Ltd Co. for 3 or 4 years. Perhaps the best endorsement is that it quite impressed the Inspector when I had a VAT inspection! As you may guess, it 'does' VAT very well, and is easy to set up - the only thing it doesn't do is produce the numbers for the VAT return, but getting them from the various reports is easy.