Re: Choosing which Ledger to use?

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Lyle <..hidden..> wrote:
> Sounds like this one is the way to go then :) I'm also fond of mailing lists
> and not forums, which puts you guys ahead. I'm interested to hear about the
> planned changes for v2.

The changes planned in 2.0 are still being formalized.  It will almost
certainly be a very different beast than 1.x.

The current approach is:

1)  A more formalized object model (either Class::Simple, or Moose based)
2)  A re-designed db schema for financial transactions going forwards
(payments will be top-level transactions)

Additionally, the structure of the program will change to a more
kernelized structure, with the core program doing only basic contact
management, AR, AP, GL, and basic financial reports.  Inventory
tracking, point of sale, project accounting etc. etc. will all be
moved into addons.  Each area will be looked a carefully in terms of
what works well and what does not.

2.0 will probably emerge gradually, with the core program being
available some time before it is feature-competitive with 1.3.
Consequently I'd suggest 1.3 will be supported for a long time to
come.