Re: Yearend Transactions

Luke,

Based on your replies to my email,  I will try to answer the questions raised in your original email.

Using your quote from Dieter:

"" A yearend may be run at any time, it does not affect any transactions nor does it remove transactions. A special GL Journal entry is generated offsetting income and expense accounts to zero. The difference is posted to a retained earnings account of your choice. You will also have to edit this GL Journal entry to record dividends, tax payments and adjust retained earnings accordingly."
(http://www.ledger123.com/archives//msg00503.html)"

This statement is correct as to its description of the mechanics involved in closing the books.  That is, the action described is done at year-end (not at month-end or some other intermediate time period).  The purpose is to close (empty) the revenue and expense accounts so that they become ready (that is, carry zero balances) to carry the activity of the next major reporting period (the next financial year, either calendar or fiscal).  The net result of offsetting all revenue and expense accounts is to determine a gain (excess of revenues over expenses) or loss (excess of expenses over revenues) for the time period.  That net number increases or decreases retained earnings.

Dieter's next statement is problematic.  In the US in books kept according to GAAP in the case of for-profit entities, there essentially is just one retained earnings account.  I am not familiar with his software in detail, so it may be that he permits multiple RE accounts, otherwise I don't understand his phrase "retained earnings account of your choice".

His last statement seems to me to be non-standard accounting technique.  That is, accountants following good form usually provide separate entries for separate activities.  Thus  closing the books is one, recording dividends is another, and tax payments would be yet a third or more (federal and state being different calculations).

==================

"Equity drawing/dividend accounts are also moved, but the investment accounts are not."
Further down the page it says:
"It does not move the drawing account, and this must be done manually, nor does it automate the process of making adjustments."

Is this talking about two separate types of drawing account?
(I'm using the US Service COA here--what does it consider the "drawing account" and "drawing accounts" in these two statements to be?)

My question is: what else do I have to do, other than running the yearend?

I am familiar with the term "drawing account" principally in regard to partnerships and not corporations.  The "drawing" refers to recording withdrawals of cash to the benefit of the recipient.  This usually is done according to the terms of a partnership agreement that spells out the extent to which all partners consider this appropriate and when it is permitted to occur.

Elsewhere in the emails I have seen connected with LSMB someone described the normal activity connected with declaring and paying dividends.  These do not get wound into Retained Earnings and the year-end close.  The declaration of a dividend sets up (increases) a liability account for dividends payable and reduces equity for the amount of the liability.  Payment reduces liability and cash.

To answer your question what do you do, for year-end there is no impact.  If the declaration and payment of dividend occurs near or effective on year-end, your activity is based on the terms and instructions of the Board directives.  It is coincidental that it occurs at year end and should not be regarded as integrated into that process.

Hope this makes things a little clearer for you.

Tom