Re: Yearend Transactions

Hi Luke,

Your questions are important ones. The sources you quote assume a certain amount of basic accounting knowledge in the areas that your questions reflect. Because you seem not to have that knowledge at the moment, the instructions assuming same are opaque to you.

Because there are different accounting systems part of the answer to your question would be to know are you running your system according to the laws of any of these countries: UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand, USA, others?

Since you state that you are keeping records on a cash basis, you will not be seeming to use accounting techniques required by GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).

Perhaps the fastest way for you to get answers to what you seek is to find a library with a strong accounting/business section. Look for a basic accounting book, one that illustrates with bookkeeping techniques (debit this, credit that) rather than just discusses theories and principles. If you cannot find that in a library near you, try a college or university with a business section. And of course, there is always the net to search.

I don't know if I can help you more specifically until you specify the type of reporting you have to do and to which authority (your country) or for what purpose: government reports, banking loan requests, etc. I assume from your question that you are tracking personal expenditures for family/personal activities.

Tom