Re: Panic really setting in now!

beamends wrote:
On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 09:18 -0400, Luke wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, beamends wrote:

If it comes to that, the new owners (I sold out a while back) will want
to buy Sage and go back to windows! After 3 out of 4 Ubuntu upgrades
ending in disaster it's difficult to argue against that.......
But why are they? That is not usual. One of the major things going for Ubuntu is that that doesn't happen, at least not often.

Anyway, I've scrounged an old machine this morning and installing Ubuntu
8.04 on it and leaving well alone until 2011 when it "expires"!
Cheers
Richard

Like most users, I know that awful feeling that things have gone completely out of control.

Having said that, I've been running Ubuntu/LSMB upgrades for quite a while and all my problems have been entirely of my own making. I might add that the last time I created a problem I was able to *PAY* one of the developers of LSMB to fix a problem that I created myself, and it was done efficiently and quickly. I'm not sure you would get that sort of help from the proprietary world. Just because it's "free" doesn't mean you should never pay.

Perhaps you should contact one of the developers and offer them money to fix your problem?

My production servers are using LTS Ubuntu 8.04 precisely because they are stable and long term. I've had no upgrade issues with my desktop or laptop which run the latest, so it's likely your problem is something you have done wrong.

Hopefully you have a good set of backups. With those, it's unlikely you can't get things working again.