Re: ETA for LSMB 1.3 production?

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:25, Stroller<..hidden..> wrote:

> On 26 Jun 2009, at 19:52, David A. Bandel wrote:
>> Do you not like this client?  Have you tried the software from an
>> svn checkout?
>>
>> Think of it like this:  ...
>>
>> Remember:  The only guarantee you'll get with GPL software is if it
>> breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
>
> You appear to have accidentally depressed the snark-lock key.
>
> It is not necessary to reply in snarkiness when a simple "no, it's not
> ready yet" will suffice.

Not the intent.  I have no idea of the level of competence of the
folks reading this posts on the list or asking the questions.  Can 1.3
be used?  Yes.  Do you want to use it?  That's a qualified maybe (but
not a no).  Qualification being on the person who will administer (or
perhaps use the software) to at least provide themselves a modicum of
support.

So a "no it's not ready" is not correct, neither is a "yes it is
ready".  I've been poking at 1.3.  When I find something is broken, I
can look at the error messages and identify the problem.  I can even
"fix" the problem enough to keep going.  Last nite I did just that and
"patched" the offending code.  Even when I patched it I knew the patch
wasn't correct, but my knowledge of how parts affect others is not
enough yet to get the whole fix correct.  In time, if I have time to
work on the code more I will get there, but I have a number of
projects competing for my attention, so I passed what I had to Chris
and he immediately saw the problem and will likely have it fixed in
svn rsn.  Meanwhile, I keep poking.

I would not have expected anyone at this point to stop their work and
look at my "problem".

So it is important that users who want to jump into 1.3 understand
that it's not complete, will have bugs, will get fixed, but might not
get immediate attention.  If you can't fend for yourself, don't depend
on it at this point.

And no way would I put this code up for a client.

Now Chris has been absolutely fantastic in his support, but he is
dedicated at the moment to writing new code.  Currently his attention
is on an asset depreciation module.  So he's busy working toward new
features in 1.3, not fixing bugs (unless you can provide enough info
that the problem can be seen relatively easily).

So for now, the "if it breaks ... " is quite relevant.

David A. Bandel
            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto